English Exercise 1 for PrimaryTarikh : 07-03-2013
Uncertainty About Subject-Verb Agreement Important terms: 1. Noun : a naming word, - e.g. tree, eraser, pen, cow, man, woman 2. Verb : a doing word or a word or group of words that expresses an action; - e.g. eat, sleep go, walk, buy, write, jump 3. Pronoun : a word that stands for a noun; - e.g. he, she, they, we, it, me, you 4. Verbs must agree with their subjects. The third person singular subject (he, she, it, Ali, the cat) takes an - s ending (enjoys, has, does, eats, was, is). 5. The plural subjects (we, you, they, we, the men, the cars, Ali and Abu) have no – s ending (enjoy, have, do, eat, were, are) Let’s try
Instruction: Underline the correct verb in brackets.
1. The letter I (write, writes) to my mother (don’t, doesn’t) reach her on time.
2. Rashid and his mother (spend, spends) many hours together in the library.
3. A kilo of grapes (is, are) extremely expensive these days.
4. Duddin (was, were) given a new motorcycle on his birthday.
5. Maria, Siti and Muluk (help, helps) the Debating Club members every Monday afternoon.
6. Sobri and Marina (is, are) getting married soon.
7. Some thieves (has, have) broken into the house last night.
8. Window-shopping (is, are) a favourite pastime of many school-children.
9. A cartoon of drinks (was, were) ordered yesterday for the meeting.
10. Road motor-racing is a dangerous and unhealthy activity yet many teenagers these days (is, are) crazy about it. Answers: www.taha.com.my